Books, Blogs, Poems, Programs & Podcasts
News & Blogs
News & Blogs
|Posted on December 2, 2021 at 9:40 PM|
What have I learned in 2021? By me, Krissy Regan, The Wellness Poet.
Like many people, I’m my own harshest critic and I also constantly evaluate my performance!! So as the school year comes to a close, I thought I would share my warts and all musings and learnings of 2021, in the hope that they may ring true for you too… I’m certain I want to improve on my personal report card next Christmas!
Let’s start with some aged old wisdom!
- You can’t always get what you want!
- Rejection is God’s protection!!
- Dream bigger than you can imagine!
- The sky’s the limit!
So much helpful wisdom; so conflicting, so contrasting, so much pressure, so confusing!!
I flip between optimistic, pessimistic, realism and surrealism… Does this mean I have multiple personality disorder?
My husband may say YES! I say NO!
I sit firmly and pleasantly on a continuum of these, sliding back and forth as I see fit. What about you?
Energy ebbs and flows, much like passion, motivation and self-belief. BTW Santa Claus just walked past me as I write this…. No wonder life is so confusing for children, teenagers and adults!!
This past year has been an incredible learning experience for me. The list of stuff I’ve been learning about is very long and very varied.
Here’s a snapshot;
- I’m learning how to navigate being a school mum.
- Coaching 7-year-old’s to play touch football involves tears, tantrums and triumphs.
- Writing books and blogs that people want to read takes practise, consistency and bravery.
- Appreciating Esports and online gaming puts you in touch with the younger generation.
- Never hobbies I’ve pursued but mindful that the world is changing.
- Mastering online tools and platforms that make it easier to create, sell and distribute content all over the world is empowering.
- So many online things. I do like doing stuff face to face too.
- Being vulnerable enough to share my passion, but careful enough not to intimidate or scare people off can lead to self-sabotage.
- Apparently, I can be intimidating!!
- Sometimes we borrow ideas and refine them.
- Sometimes others borrow your ideas and refine them.
- A happy home is not happy or healthy without a lot of time spent outside in fresh air and nature.
- Being late is my issue…
- I hate being late, hate it when people are late and can’t stand it when people keep me waiting… it’s my issue and I’m learning to practise patience and boundaries.
- Friendship is a two-way street!
- It’s better to be in your own company than with people who don’t feel the same about you, as you do about them. Doormats are cheap and easy to replace.
I could go on for pages and pages… but in this year of learning, reflection and acceptance I’ve overcome some pretty big worries in my life and when I write about them, I solidify those lessons and develop a greater level of awareness and understanding.
I was once told I had poor self-awareness! Well, that sucks! But, now that my self-awareness is greater, I can see how that played out in my life and I’m mindful of it.
You can’t borrow, buy or hire validation. You must find it within, and then practise it daily.
I AM worthy!
Relationships are challenging on many levels, and personality traits can be very difficult to understand. Add Ego to that, and man, people cause each other so much grief and suffering.
It becomes much easier to recognise suffering when you are mindful of your own suffering.
Most suffering is self-inflicted…. YES we do it to ourselves because we can’t process, rationalise and learn from our experiences… We internalise, blame and hold on to all that which caused us to suffer. This is a waste of a good teachable moment, or to use really bad English, you lose the learnable moments if you live in this space.
Learnable Moments! I’m learning to love my learnable moments. When I see a learnable moment unfold in front of me, rather than happen to me; I think, WOW, now there is a really learnable moment that I should note, so next time I’m about to make that same mistake I can call on this moment.
I hope you’ve had some Learnable Moments this year. And that you can rationalise all that unfolded for you (good and bad) and process those experiences in a healthy way.
Apparently, God does not give us more than we can handle. So, if you feel like the hits just keep on coming. Just know that you are being sent as many learnable moments as you can handle.
My best-friend and I did an audit of our ups and downs over the past 2 decades, and acknowledged how many times we have been very down and very out. In contrast now, we are both apparently successful, have agency, and are living a life we both like. I do wonder what would have happened if we had not have had our setbacks and major blows. I’m sure they will come again – life and energy ebbs and flows.
So, from one self-confessed, impatient woman on a mission to self-actualise, I want to tell you it’s OK….
Ok to learn, fail, reinvent, reflect, rest and power on. I’m not waiting for others to catch up, I’m not hanging around waiting for validation. I’ve got places to be, things to do and stuff to learn!
Much love and learning to you in 2022!